Thursday 31 December 2009

Dear New Years Party Singers,

I am writing to you to address a concern that has been niggling me, and no doubt others (at that), for some time now which, although trivial, is the cause much annoyance and, moreover, could be taken as being, at worst, culturally insensitive and, at best, plain lazy and/or stupid.

The lyric "For the sake of auld lang syne" is just plain wrong.

I should not have to be the one to point this out, as even a cursory search - using say 'Google' for example - would yield this answer, but I feel that this must be resolved:

I'm not one to nit-pick but if you're going to sing a song with words you don't understand (such as 'syne') then you should at least research the correct lyrics and not, as in the above example, insert new words that construe the intent of the original song.


The phrase 'Auld lang syne' literally means 'old long since' but is generally taken to mean 'old time's sake' so the the extra 'For the sake of' introduces a tautology, that I, for one, feel is unnecessary, by redefining the core lyric of the song to read:

"For the sake of old time's sake.

I would be grateful if you could put a stop to the practice once and for all.

Yours Sincerely
Andy McDowall (Taxpayer)


P.S. If you could convince the bar staff not to charge exorbitant prices for whisky I'd be willing to overlook this insolence in this instance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment