Wednesday 15 June 2011

Tooth-Hurty Appointment

Some of you (none of you) have asked me how my recent surgery went - the surgery I had yesterday - and since I haven't actually updated my blog in months I thought I'd kill two birds with one boring stone.

The story begins about a week ago when I was going for a routine post surgery checkup (the op I had a month back). Luckily for me this checkup coincided with the morning that some bone, from my skull, started to poke through the gum. The surgeon agreed with my non-medical opinion that we needed to sort the fuck out of this situation so I was booked in for some fixing.


Above is the before and after pic of what I like to call my mouth.

I opted for a local anathetic because I'm tough like that and after a bit of numbing and injections the team went to work on fixing my face. Being as I was fully conscious for the whole operation I was able to observe quite alot of what was happening to me.

First of all there was the important task of selecting the tunes for procedure. They gave me a choice of either George Micheal or Micheal Jackson. Unfortunately - as I was biting down on something at the time - my cries of 'kill me now' were interpreted as a big yes for the now deceased king of pop.

Stage two involved cutting open my gum and removing the bone graft within. I was quite surprised to find that this involved a screw driver and a pair of pliers - apparently dentistry is the new carpentry. After a bit of effort the offending bone was prised free and the cause of the gum protrusion could be determined.

It seems that my skull started repairing itself form a layer of new bone that pushed the grafted bone out of my face. Anyway this new growth hadn't taken to the antithetic and was mightily painful regarding the whole slice and bone removal part.

The exposed cavity was sanded down a bit and cleaned while the bone graft was reshaped, drilled, and then put back in with longer screws this time for some reason.

Finally as the antithetic started to wear off I was stitched up and cleaned and sent on my merry way. Starting to feel quite a bit of pain once outside I made my as quickly as I could to the nearest chemist to pick up my precious drugs. By now the anithetic was almost completely gone and I was in a fair bit on pain - I nearly passed out while waiting for the presciption to be prepared. Eventually the drugs appeared and after some sweet sweet opiates the pain started to become bearable.

Not much pain today (the next day) but lots of swelling. Have decided to take the day off to recouperate and have tried my best to spend my free time relaxing but productively:


I only had three pens (two biros and a dying orange highlighter) and the only photo I could find was of the Hon Heather Roy who smiles coquettishly from a fridge magnet that we have for some reason.

1 comments:

thevolleyballanalyst said...

MENTAL!!!!

Post a Comment