Tuesday 1 September 2009

Dreams Vs Reality

There is a scene in Father Ted where Dougal is having the difference between dreams and reality explained to him by Ted - via the aide of a diagram (below); later on Dougal will confuse the two. I mention this because it is pertinent.


About an hour ago I got back from a white water rafting trip. Since I got home earlier than planned I thought I might quickly visit the Whakarewarewa volcanic park. It was a quick drive from my hostel to the park but I decided when I got there not to enter; this was for two reasons:
  1. It was 4:30 and the park closes at 5.
  2. I had been there before 3 years earlier before I moved to Wellington.
So I decided to skip the park - after all I had two valid reasons...wait a minute, I've never been to the park before let alone Wellington! Oh well, I leafed through my guide book to see what I could do this evening and decided to go for a walk about the town and savour the eggy sulphur smell in the air (Rotorua is in a volcanic region).

I drove back to the hostel, dumped the car and headed out on foot towards the town centre.

On the way I spotted a group of wren like birds scavenging for food whom I found inexplicably hilarious; as I turned the corner of the street I suddenly remembered that I'd buried my swimming trunks somewhere in the flower boxes that line the streets; a Maori woman was wearing a hat that made me giggle; further down the street I remembered was where the Internet was first discovered and tamed.

It suddenly occur ed to me that I may have a slight concussion from the rafting - possibly from when I fell out the raft after plunging down the waterfall. I'm remembering dreams I've had in the past few days and confusing them briefly with reality - a la the diagram above. Nothing to worry about, but I think I'll go and lie down.

As for the rafting trip it was awesome fun, though I seem to recall doing a more exciting trip several years ago - before I moved to Wellington.

0 comments:

Post a Comment